Celebrating Life with Children in September
Here are ten simple pleasures you can enjoy with your children this month.
1. Ask your child to read a book to you. Younger children can look at the pictures and describe what's going on in the book. Older children can read a current chapter in the book they are reading.
2. Make a Back-to-School time capsule with each child. This is a great tradition for the first week of school. Over the years, you'll have an album of memories that really tells a story. Here are instructions and ideas on things to include at the Family Fun website: http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/feature/famf89school/famf89school4.html
3. Choose one Saturday this month to be Kids' Day. For one day this month, they choose what to eat for meals, when to get dressed, what to do?
4. Ask each family member to start a gratitude journal. Younger children can draw pictures instead of words.
5. Make a big bowl of popcorn, gather pillows, dim the lights and splurge on a Pay-Per-View kids movie.
6. Take a walk with your children and let them decide the pace, as well as where to go. Allow them to linger over a stream or a single flower if they wish. Budget a lot more time for this than you might think you need so you're sure to be unhurried and relaxed.
7. Plan a short bit of "special time" with each child?.an hour or so to connect over hot cocoa or lemonade. Ask them about new friendships and express a genuine interest in their social lives at the beginning of this school year.
8. Take an art class with your child.
9. Blast music when you all are doing chores together.
10. Start working on homemade holiday gifts together. Now is the time to make some headway on those fun projects - and still be relaxed enough to enjoy the process.
Susie Cortright is the founder of momscape.com - http://www.momscape.com and Momscape's Scrapbooking Playground - http://www.momscape.com/scrapbooking -devoted to helping visitors record and preserve their cherished memories. Visit her site today to subscribe to her free newsletters.
MORAL ARMORS Irrational Parenting, Part III
Not Letting Them Think.We all implicitly know that anything questioning the process of cognition itself will be met with massive irritation, making us want to respond with "Don't question my capacity to think.
Back to School
It is hard to believe that summer is coming to a close, but the fall and school season is fast approaching. Our son will be beginning his first year of preschool this year and we are both excited and nervous.
Clean Slates and Fresh Starts
Hope, excitement and anxiety all wrapped up in fresh haircuts and new clothes. Pens, pencils and notebooks, the smell of a new box of crayons and a brand new book; it all speaks of such promise.
Home For The Holidays: Avoid Aging Parents Becoming A Burden
By not planning for the future we guarantee that we will leave our children with a tremendous burden. Just about the time they are preparing for their own retirement and their children's college education, adult children often are overwhelmed with decision-making for their aging parents.
EEG Biofeedback as a Treatment for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
In this form of treatment for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder the subject learns to pay attention to his own brain wave activity, and then apparently learns to change and control his brain wave activity. The subject is given immediate feedback on just what his brain's activity is like at any given moment through the use of high-speed computers which provide both auditory and visual feedback.
Who Are Your Kids Talking To Online?
Studies have shown that:1 out of 4 children were sent pictures of people who were naked or having sex?1 out of 5 children were solicited for sex on the Internet50% of people have made phone calls with someone the chatted with online.Do you know what strangers are saying to your kids?What can you do to protect your children from unscrupulous people in the Internet?Today's children, and specially teens, spend more time on the computer.
End Babysitter Abuse
Not many things are more upsetting than discovering that your child has been abused, in any way, by your babysitter. People think that to be a babysitter means you must be a nice person.
What Do Chinese Water Torture and Arguing with Children Have in Common?
Imagine yourself lying flat on your back, totally strapped down onto a cold, hard table, unable to move any part of your body. You can't see anything around you because your eyes are covered.
MORAL ARMORS Irrational Parenting, Part II
Handing Down Malignancy.Children may begin bright and eager to face the world, but are often inundated with the conditioning of their fear-ridden predecessors speaking of lost dreams-taken by no one in particular.
Why Consistency Is The Key To Raising Well-behaved Kids
Being consistent when children are less than perfect can make you feel dreadful. However consistency is one of the most important elements in the relationship with your children, but it is the one most frequently overlooked.
Teaching Your Child Safety
Q. What is the best way to teach safety awareness to young children?A.
How to Prepare for Labor
Although nothing anybody says can ever completely prepare a woman for the day she delivers her first baby, there are some simple suggestions that should help make this amazing experience a little bit easier.First of all there are three very honest realities about childbirth that your doctor, mother, grandmother, and maybe even your best friend will probably not tell you.
Say No to Mealtime Mayhem: Eating Out With Your Baby or Toddler
Many parenting books advise against eating out with young children. Their short attention span and need to be involved in everything will mean a nightmare for you, they say.
Will My Doubts and Fears Affect My Child?
"Will my doubts and fears affect my child?" This father is concerned about his son, a high school athlete with a vision of playing professional sports. The father's fear is that his son won't be accepted into the 'right' college to be scouted by the professionals.
Understanding The Report
"No thank you. Don't bother to send me the report about the testing results.
Theres Never a Bad Time To Start Helping To Spread The Word of God
Q. What's the right age to start giving a Bible quiz to my child?A.
Clean Kid Syndrome - Does Your Child Suffer from it?
The learning and development of Australian kids is under threat because they're not playing outdoors, engaging in constructive, creative play.A nationwide Newspoll survey revealed that the average kid is spending at most, just 10 percent of their free time playing outdoors at home.
More Water, Not Less, Will Help End Bedwetting
Children are notoriously bad at drinking enough liquids. They are so busy playing they sometimes 'forget' to drink.
Where Will YOUR Kids Get A Job?
Let's face it.The job market is getting tougher every day.
The Long Journey Home
Once upon a time, I thought I had it all. I had a child, a career, the world at my feet.
|home | site map|