The Best and Worst of Motherhood
Until the moment I became a mother, I couldn't quite understand or comprehend the depth when people say "Mothers are the strongest, most noble and loving people in this whole wide world" It's just a whole bunch of cliché stuff that I could live without, thank you very much!
The pain. The joy. The sacrifices. The love. The fear. The confusion. The anxiety, panic, loss of time, loss of privacy. The internal battle between a person's own inner personality conflicting with those of being a mother. The need to be alone and oneself roughly pushed aside because a child needs caring, loving and affection. The loss of sleep, the loss of opportunities.
I knew but I never understood.
Now that I am mom, everything within me is screaming for attention. My needs to be the best mom in this whole wide world and the need for me to be the best that I can be. Now, I realize the weight of the statement. We are the noblest people in this whole wide world.
There are many different sensations which come along with being a mother. Some good and some bad.
Best moments of motherhood
1. Seeing your baby's first smile (does it matter that it could have been wind in tummy? Nah!)
3. Baby cooing and smiling when she sees you
4. Baby calms down when you give me a nice warm cuddle
5. Baby's first tooth
6. The first giant wobbly step
7. The first word
8. The first baby utters 'mamma' or 'mommy'
9. Getting down for tickle-time?right after story time
10. Seeing your child/baby overcome an obstacle without your help
11. The start of potty training (Very huge accomplishment)
12. The first A, B, C?
13. The first 1, 2, 3
14. When your baby comes over to you for a hug (for no apparent reason at all)
15. When someone tells you that your child is handsome or pretty
16. When someone compliments you on how well-behaved your child is
17. Child learns how to dance
18. Enjoying the off-key singing of your child
19. Seeing your child make new friends
20. Your child is able to love someone else other than you and herself.
21. You can dance around naked with your child with no inhibition
22. Going shopping with your teen.
23. Kissing your child in the morning before leaving for work
24. when your child gives you something to show you what a wonderful mother you have been to him/her.
Worst moments of motherhood
2. First month as a mother
3. Teething problems
4. Inability to understand what your child is yabbering about (when learning to talk)
6. Awful excess of weight
7. First few months returning to work
8. Separation anxiety (for both mother and child)
9. Missing your child when you're alone
10. The inability to watch a single TV program or movie right to the end uninterrupted
11. Missing out with all your unmarried, child-less friends
12. Missing out on those romantic diaper-less moments with your spouse
13. Baby giving your health shock 3 times a week
14. The first few days of weaning baby onto solids
15. Weaning baby from the breast
16. You feel like complete old hag in a disco or party.
17. First few times baby starts walking (toddling)
18. Throwing a tantrum of your own in response to your child's
19. Clinging child when you're tired from work or rushing to meet a deadline
20. Starting preschool
21. Employing a new nanny
22. When your teen gets his/her driving license?.oohhh?.the tension and stress!
23. When your teen tells you she's got a boyfriend?worse still, she doesn't tell you a ting and you find out about it from your neighbor.
Copyright © Marsha Maung 2005
Marsha Maung is a freelance graphic designer and copy writer who works from her home in Selangor, Malaysia. She loves nothing more than blowing bubbles in the park with her 2 kids, Joshua and Jared. She designs apparel and premium items at http://www.creativejooz.com and is the author of "Raising little magicians", and the popular "The Lance in freelancing". More information can be found at http://www.marshamaung.com
My Teenaged Parents
Frankly, as a single parent of young children, I struggled. But, as the single parent of teenagers, I stunk! Faced with the reality of children who could (and did) do whatever they really, really wanted to do, I was often baffled.
Diaper Bags for Dads - Papas Got a Brand New Bag
Today's dads are more hands-on than ever before and their involvement is being rewarded with parenting gear designed with men in mind. Many items that have typically been designed for the maternal side of the parental equation are now being introduced in masculine styles, colors, and fabrics, including diaper bags, baby carriers, and strollers.
Fun Things to Do with Your Kids this Summer
10 Fun Things You Can Do With Your Children this Summer that Won't Break the BankFor a family with small children like my own, a big family vacation in the summer isn't always an option. But just because your summer entertainment budget is small doesn't mean you and your kids can't have lots of fun this summer.
How to Silence Your Childs Inner Critic
Children do what feels good to them and follow their natural instincts. Well meaning parents teach children that it is not socially acceptable to behave in certain ways, thus going against a child's natural inclinations.
A Chart for Everything
For every season, check, check, check, There is a chart, check, check, check, And a chart can replace some of your nagging. A chart for chores, A chart for grades.
Parenting Your Teenager: 6 Things to Stop Doing Right Away
1. STOP focusing on what you are going to make your teen-ager doIt doesn't work.
Intro to Medications for ADD ADHD
The most common medications used in the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder are stimulant medications. Anti-depressant medications, and even anti-convulsant medications, are sometimes used as well, though this is less common.
Is Your Discipline Damaging the Spirit of the Child?
If your parenting methods include abuse of any kind; physical, sexual, emotional or verbal, please get help to stop as soon as possible. Adults are supposed to safeguard and protect the young among us.
Empty Nest Syndrome
Paula's last child had just gone off to college and Paula was struggling with a deep inner emptiness. While she knew this day was coming, she was not really prepared for the intense hollowness that welled up within.
Why Wont My Child Do as I Say?
In speaking with parents a comment I frequently hear is "My child won't listen!" Repeated attempts in trying to get a child to co-operate often lands on deaf ears and leaves parents feeling exhausted and helpless. Frequently we say things we later regret and become riddled with guilt.
Adderall and Its Side-Effects
Adderall is a stimulant medication used in the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in both children and adults. It is made from a combination of four amphetamine compounds.
Childrens Discipline: How To Resolve Divorce Parenting Differences?
Did you know that inconsistency on matters of discipline gives double messages, produces anxiety and can be very confusing to your children? Children need to know where they stand in their behaviors. It is therefore critical for parents to resolve their differences in matters of children's discipline.
Can Mineral Deficiencies Lead to Behavioral Problems in Children?
A while ago I received this story from David in England, who wrote: I am following your work with great interest as I am trying to get more information about the subject of ADD / ADHD for a friend of mine who was put in charge of such a child at school. She was given no training for this work nor was she given any backup.
MORAL ARMORS Irrational Parenting, Part II
Handing Down Malignancy.Children may begin bright and eager to face the world, but are often inundated with the conditioning of their fear-ridden predecessors speaking of lost dreams-taken by no one in particular.
How Children Can Read Faster and Better
For most children, it is easy to learn to read faster. Their reading rate is often a matter of habit.
From Go Fast Kids to Calm Kids
How excited do kids get with the start of school approaching? Getting kids to go from the freedom of school holidays to move to that place of being settled and ready for school can be a challenge for some parents. Many children now days are identified as being ADD and ADHD I call these kids "go fasts" and the transition from holidays to school can be a bit more of a challenge for these kids.
Top Ten Common Sense Rules for Fathers
There are a lot of sophisticated parenting theories and techniques out there. Many of them are widely used and treated as the gospel.
Public School Sex-Education Classes --- Bad News For Parents and Children
One of parents' most important duties is to protect their children from harmful sexual values and behaviors. Yet many public schools force potentially harmful, sometimes shockingly explicit sex education on their students.
Stay at Home Mom You Need to Raise Cowboys
Now I know that is not how the song goes, I have had cousins from central Texas drag me to Gilley's to listen to that song live and they sang every word without missing a beat. So no emails about the title, please.
Clean Slates and Fresh Starts
Hope, excitement and anxiety all wrapped up in fresh haircuts and new clothes. Pens, pencils and notebooks, the smell of a new box of crayons and a brand new book; it all speaks of such promise.
|home | site map|