Teach Your Child About Money
What are we teaching our children about money? Hopefully something!
I remember when I was growing up, our family did not discuss money. Money was a taboo subject, discussed by the parents and handled by the father.
This is one thing that I wish that was discussed more openly when I was younger. Just a little guidance such as "save 10% of your income" and I would have been fine!
How I wish I could turn back the clocks of time. How I wish I was encouraged to save even 1% of my income. When I look back at the year I started working until this year 2003, I'm not saying I would be a millionaire but I certainly would have been much better off!
Now a grown woman I have acknowledged and accepted the past and moved on to a great future. My bank account is increasing each year, I am currently purchasing rental properties and I am feeling incredible being and doing what I love-a Prosperity Coach!
Now I don't necessarily encourage parents to show the kids your mortgage statements but I think it is vital that children know that (while the subject of money may be a tad embarrassing for some parents) it IS a necessary part of life. As you start teaching your child, start slow and encourage them to believe in themselves and their future.
Here are some tips to help your child attain prosperity even at a young age:
1. Buy a piggy bank for your younger children. Allow them to choose whatever color shape or size they desire. Invite them to put their pennies into their piggy bank. Once in a while they may count their pennies and reward themselves if they desire.
2. When your children have proved themselves to handling their pennies, take them to open their own bank accounts. Encourage them to save at least 10% of what they receive as gifts (I know I used to receive money as gifts when I was young! )
3. Your child should be encouraged to donate or contribute another 10% of their savings. Donate to the church, to the homeless, to the depressed, or to a charity of their choice. This would help the youth become more rounded, become more respectful of others regardless of the situation and become more appreciative of their own lives and their own prosperity.
4. Many young children think that "money grows on trees". I applaud this abundance in them (although they may not know that the Universe is in fact limitless) and think we should encourage and nurture this? to some extent!
5. Talk to the kids and let them know that this paper and metal stuff called money is brought about by YOU working. Whether or not you work or you have inherited a large fortune, don't encourage laziness in your child. They need to be able to work for free sometimes to learn the value of hard work.
6. Money101 is not taught in schools. Where your child's future is heading depends on what you want your child to know. Prepare your child for their future.
7. When your child is old enough encourage your child to purchase a journal or a diary where they can record their dreams and desires. This allows them to dream big and look forward to their lives ahead-filled with prosperity.
8. If they can manage and understand the budgeting process I'm all for it. When grandma gives them money for their birthday, after they have put aside 10% each for savings and for donation to a charity, allow them to budget for the remainder.
9. I'm sure there are loads of chores around the house, washing the dishes, cleaning the rooms, etc. Give your children an allowance but let them work for it.
10. Let the kids participate in the family's money decisions. They may not understand everything but their minds will open up to the energy that money has and will prepare them for their lives ahead.
The kids are our future. I know it may sound a little cliché but the fact is?they are. If you truly interested in your child's future prepare them and trust that the process will work and they will be A-okay! I guarantee it!
About The Author
Sandra Baptist works with persons who desire to attract, enhance and increase a more prosperous life. She empowers brilliant highly motivated men and women to transform their negative beliefs about money so as to attract more wealth, more success and more prosperity into their lives. For free consultations contact her at tel: 1-800-666-4754 or at http://www.EliteCoachingGroup.com
Dinner Table Drama
It has been a long day. Home from work, you put together a nice, healthy dinner for the entire family to enjoy.
Healthy Eating Alone Is Not The Answer
Along with eating healthier we need to be more active. The two go hand in hand.
7 Easy Ideas for Organizing Kids Artwork
In school, kids are encouraged to create, draw, color, paint and build. These activities can certainly stimulate children, and help them grow.
Parenting: The Road I Chose
Tripping over the shoes and toys that seem to clutter my living room floor on a constant basis, just seems to be part of the game of parenting. I realize it doesn't have to be that way.
Parents - Create An Emotionally Healthy Connection With Your Child
"I could have helped you if I would have known, I'm your mother. I protect you against everybody in this world.
Thirteen Values You Can Teach Through Homework
Are you a parent concerned about passing values on to your kids? Do you worry that you can't find the time, or don't know how? You don't need thirty-minute multi-media presentations! You can do it with homework. In those precious moments you spend supervising your child's homework, here are thirteen values you can subtly pass on:1) Responsibility: It's their homework, not yours, and it's them being assessed, not you.
Bad Boys/Good Boys (Avoiding The Pitfalls Of Being An Insensitive Dad)
I WAS AMAZEDI could hardly believe what I was hearing. A father and his son had entered the men's room.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: What is Impulsivity?
Impulsivity is one of the hallmarks of people with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. This impulsivity is the result of the brain's decreased ability to inhibit.
Parenting Your Teenager: 6 Tips for Effective Discipline and Consequences
A parent writes in, ``We are having a hard time in our family deciding on appropriate punishments when our teen-ager breaks family rules. We can't tell if we are too strict or too lenient.
Teach Your Children How To Resolve Conflict Without Using Anger Or Power
Teaching kids to deal with conflict effectively and peacefully is perhaps the biggest challenge facing adults today. Children's disagreements both at home and at school can be noisy, physical and psychologically hurtful.
Life Lessons Learned in My Underwear
For several years now, I've told the following story as a keynote presentation when I do speaking engagements:When our oldest son was a toddler and teething heavily, he woke up one morning at 4 screaming and crying. My wife nudged me as a reminder that it was my turn to get up with him.
Be Serious With Your Child Future
As a parent your biggest responsibility is to prepare your child for the future , physically emotionally and mentally.The first big Intellectual Challenge your child will face is the Entrance Test for KG and later for the First Standard .
The Added Advantage In African American Childrens Education: Computer Homeschooling (Part 2)
We've got spirit, yes we do! We've got spirit how 'bout you!We left our parents and friends in our last article discussing the commitment it takes to homeschool african american children. In part 2 of 4 we will discuss finding resources to make sure that african american parents commitment to their children's education is not hampered because of anything easily available.
Watch What You Say
"Now don't you go getting any ideas, Harold.""Don't you get any ideas either, Terry.
What Do Chinese Water Torture and Arguing with Children Have in Common?
Imagine yourself lying flat on your back, totally strapped down onto a cold, hard table, unable to move any part of your body. You can't see anything around you because your eyes are covered.
Back to School Responsibilities Again
It's that time of year when mom and dad look for ways to improve their child's academic standing, during the upcoming scholastic year.There are many options to weigh in such as: new school clothes, school supplies, peer pressure, after school care, homework, league sports, and transportation.
6 Tried & True Fun Ways to Educate and Entertain Your Preschooler
1. New Word of the DayIntroduce your preschooler to a new word each morning at breakfast and define it for him.
Develop Your Childs Genius - Developing Leadership Qualities
Often I have heard that leaders are born, not made. Do you think this is true? How many times did you read a biography of a great leader, and discovered that as a child, he has been quiet, reserved and rather shy? Are those natural qualities of a leader? Of course not! These people have developed their leadership qualities later in life.
How Much Water are You Wasting?
Are you being smart about water conservation? Do you consider yourself an environmentally conscious person? Well, how do you wash your car? Do you do it in your driveway? If you wash your car in your driveway with a garden hose and shut-off nozzle, you will use five gallons of water to fill your soap bucket to get suds. You will then wet down your car for two minutes or more, soap your car and then rinse the car for four minutes or more.
Bird Flu Pandemic
What are the easiest things citizens can do to prevent spreading in an epidemic outbreak in America of a virus. There are many things you can do and warn your kids not to do; for instance tell your children; Do not touch handrails in public places and buses.
|home | site map|